Then & Now (2/5)

Penny Street, Pennylands then

Penny Street, Pennylands then

Penny Street, Pennylands now

Penny Street, Pennylands now

Penny Street was one of the first old streets to be knocked down. Today, it is home to the Whitestocks estate

Plough Inn, corner of Sandy Lane and Peel Street then

Plough Inn, corner of Sandy Lane and Peel Street then

Plough Inn, corner of Sandy Lane and Peel Street now

Plough Inn, corner of Sandy Lane and Peel Street now

Peel Street, and the Plough Inn, made way for Sandy Lane Health Centre

Sephton's Hall, Tawd Road, Tanhouse then

Sephton's Hall, Tawd Road, Tanhouse then

Sephton's Hall, Tawd Road, Tanhouse now

Sephton's Hall, Tawd Road, Tanhouse now

For more info about the hall and who lived there, see our census archives from 1861 and 1901 Today, the land which once housed Sephton’s Hall is the border between Tawd Road and Elmstead

Skelmersdale Co-op, corner of Sandy Lane and Elson Road then

Skelmersdale Co-op, corner of Sandy Lane and Elson Road then

Skelmersdale Co-op, corner of Sandy Lane and Elson Road now

Skelmersdale Co-op, corner of Sandy Lane and Elson Road now

Elson Road was demolished in the 1960s and replaced by Sandy Lane Shopping Centre. The site of the Co-op is now a video shop, as seen here on the left

Spencers Lane/Daniels Lane junction and the Bowling Green Inn then

Spencers Lane/Daniels Lane junction and the Bowling Green Inn then

Spencers Lane/Daniels Lane junction and the Bowling Green Inn now

Spencers Lane/Daniels Lane junction and the Bowling Green Inn now

To find out who lived there in 1901, click here The Bowling Green pub, along with its connection with Daniels Lane, has long gone and the site is now the junction of Abbeystead, Little Digmoor, and the ring road. Spencers Lane is behind the one-way sign

The Tawd Bridge Inn, Ormskirk Road, Digmoor then

The Tawd Bridge Inn, Ormskirk Road, Digmoor then

The Tawd Bridge Inn, Ormskirk Road, Digmoor now

The Tawd Bridge Inn, Ormskirk Road, Digmoor now

The junction with Spencers Lane remains on the right, but the Tawd Bridge Inn and the old terraces are long gone

The George pub, High Street then

The George pub, High Street then

The George pub, High Street now

The George pub, High Street now

The George Inn was replaced by the Whitestocks estate

Valentine's Farm, Wigan Road then

Valentine's Farm, Wigan Road then

Valentine's Farm, Wigan Road now

Valentine's Farm, Wigan Road now

The land which once house Valentine’s Farm is now the Royal Mail Sorting Office, Glebe Road, Gillibrands

Whiteledge Farm, Spencers Lane, Digmoor then

Whiteledge Farm, Spencers Lane, Digmoor then

Whiteledge Farm, Spencers Lane, Digmoor now

Whiteledge Farm, Spencers Lane, Digmoor now

To find out who lived there in 1901, click here Built in 1693, survived the bulldozers in the 1960s and still going strong. Today, Whiteledge is home to West Lancs Play Association
View page 1 View page 3

One thought on “Then & Now (2/5)

  1. What a crying shame, were these really supposed to be improvements!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>